25 Nov 2013

Don't Call Me Names

Let's make an important distinction:
Massage Therapists work in clinics.
Masseuses work in parlours.
I am a massage therapist. I am not a masseuse.

I've been called a bodyworker (though this term makes my skin crawl due to the the combination of the words "body and "work"). My profession doesn't need any help with misleading the public about what services are provided in a massage; enough people are already confused. I tolerate bodywork as a term for soft tissue manual therapy because the non-registered massage providers who understandably didn't want to be called masseuses had to come up with something that represented their field of work. There are some very gifted non-registered practitioners at work. Some of the people who most inspired me to study massage therapy were of such status. Because they chose not to take the registered road they have a different type of practice but I do not have any less respect for their lifelong commitment to helping others through touch.

As a massage consumer it is difficult to anticipate the quality of services provided by a non-registered provider. Anyone can hang a shingle and say they give a good massage but there is no regulation on training requirements and this is why the profession of registered massage therapy makes such a stink about defining what their profession is and does.

Our clinic.
I understand that there may be a generational difference in the meaning of the term masseuse. I can never bring myself to correct my 90 year old grandfather on this flub. But I want people to begin to understand what massage therapy currently is. Not everyone has caught wind of this, as I recently experienced at the clinc where I work alongside physiotherapists, a chiropractor, a Chinese Medicine practitoner, and another massage therapist. Our centre is bright, spacious, and inviting to those who are looking for a serene environment to tackle their health issues. Regardless of our clinic's appearance and branding, a gentleman dropped into the clinic to inquire if we did *wink-wink* "special massage". I clearly informed him that we did not ever provide that type of massage. I assure you that no seductive neon signs were luring him to our clinic, he just saw our sandwich board and inquired. This happens; massage may be associated with sexual touch. Massage has such a vast variance of interpretations worldwide that we are fighting an uphill battle in distinguishing the difference in types of hands-on techniques.

Let me clarify how it works. In order to be permitted to practice within a plethora of clinical settings my registered massage therapist colleagues and I have obtained extensive schooling (3000 hours), taken board exams, pay yearly dues to the college with which we are registered, obtain yearly continuing education credits, and adhere to CMTBC by-laws & The Health Professions Act. The reason these reserved title specifications are in place is to protect the profession. When the public talks about getting a massage we want their language to reflect the type of treatment received and leave no grey area about the therapeutic value of the services.

I don't intend to be hung-up on terminology but the differences in connotation between the terms massage therapist, bodyworker, masseuse are significant. I think it's fair to say that pretty much all of us in this profession consider this terminological variance a pet peeve. Please help us clarify this difference by using the appropriate terms.

In British Columbia the profession of massage therapy has claim on four titles that are not to be used by anyone other than their registered members. If you provide massage in this province but are not a registered member of the College of Massage Therapists of BC you may get some heat from our organization about what you are calling yourself; yes, there are people keeping an eye on such things.

The reserved titles are:
  1. Massage Therapist
  2. Registered Massage Therapist
  3. Massage Practitioner
  4. Registered Massage Practitioner
It's a minor linguistic difference to those who may not have a decent grasp on the English language and I'll forgive them and those who are simply ignorant until they know better. But for the rest of you, please don't interchange the word "masseuse" with "massage therapist". While my clients usually leave the treatment room happier than when they arrived I absolutely do not consider this providing them with "happy endings".

See you in the clinic (not the parlour),
Dana

1 comment:

  1. Very helpful distinction for all of us.
    I'm so grateful for the discerning assessments, knowledgeable diagnosis, and skill full massage therapy I've received from Dana at Ocean Side for a stubborn sports related injury I had had for years - also in a customized and precise treatment plan for recovering from a full on hip replacement. Within 6 months - yep - I was back cycling running(don't tell my surgeon), climbing, and pain free sleeping. no skin swirl could have done that.
    thanks Dana

    ReplyDelete